Week Five

by Allyson Neely on Wednesday, August 20, 2008


Week five has been worse and better all at the same time. Luckily, better is the latter of those two. The first days of the week (starting last Tuesday) were very hard. Poor baby just could NOT breathe! Very scary! I'd just sit there and watch him at night making sure he didn't stop breathing! But we went to the Dr. on Monday (PS I called the Ped three times last week but they told me there was nothing I could do as he was too young) b/c this was getting to the point where he'd had it for 7 days and I just wanted the doc to check him out and make sure it wasn't something more serious. Well, he prescribed him Amoxicillin... whoa! We went from "there's nothing we can do" to amoxicillin! That's pretty potent stuff! So potent in fact, when Avery was 5 months old we had to go to the ER b/c she wouldn't stop crying and they said she had "gut rot" from it! So I was a little dismayed that my doc would prescribe such a harsh antibiotic. And plus I'm a nursing mother! Sooner or later hes going to get the immune factors he needs to kick this. So, anyway, I made the executive decision NOT to give it to him. I love my pediatrician, but not this time. I'd rather deal with a stuffy nose and wheezing than with the screaming from gut rot! Not to mention, he's doing much better! The last few days his breathing has gotten much better and I was actually able to suck out all the stuff from his nose with the bulb syringe this morning. (Normally I'd use the bulb syringe a couple times and there'd still be junk up there...) So, basically breastmilk is amazing... and much better than amoxcillin. So on to the last few days... he's been great! He's awake more and also more interactive! He's just so stinkin' sweet! He's been smiling more too! And laughing in his sleep which is incredibly precious! We're starting to get a semblance of a routine down and that makes it so much easier knowing (or at least knowing what to guess) what to expect. Oh and his hair is really starting to look like mine. Maybe just a little darker... I love redheads!

One comment

I'm so glad he's better. I hate when babies that little are sick. There's really very little or nothing you can do. We're praying for the little guy. He's getting so big! I love the updates!

by Jovanna on August 25, 2008 at 8:29 AM. #